After the high popularity of „Modeling iPhone4 in 3ds Max“ we decided to do a tutorial for another popular mobile, HTC Desire S. In this tutorial we will start by configuring 3ds Max views and place reference pictures for our mobile into the scene. Then using a primitive we will „draw“ a rough shape of the mobile phone and using simple editable-poly functions edit, move and add more and more polys into our model and match the reference pictures which we placed in the beginning. Later after the overall shape of the mobile is done we will start to add all details which we will see at the reference and cut them into the shape using poly modeling technique. By this i will show multiple ways how to add details and cut out hole into a shape without losing the quality and Boolean modifier.
When all details are in place i will jump into Photoshop and prepare the bitmap for the display and a mask for the back part. At the end using Photometric Lights, MentalRay and 3D-Sphere material library we will prepare the scene for render and apply all material to the mobile. By rendering we will also render the Ambient & Occlusion map and using Photoshop layer properties apply it to the final render.
- Modeling HTC Desire S in using a reference
- Modeling from a primitive (box)
- Shaping the model using poly-technique
- Each detail will be modeled
- Using three different ways to add details
- Smoothing the object using subdivision
- Using our material library for materials
- Using Photometric lights
- Rendering using Mental Ray
- Postproduction in Photoshop
- 3ds Max 2012
- Photoshop (optional)