In this tutorial for Autodesk 3ds Max i will show you how to model a detailed Anduril, the sword of Aragorn from the movie trilogy Lord of the Rings. We will use a reference picture according which we will model the sword and all details on it. In the first step we will start with a rough shape using a primitive object (in our case a cylinder) and poly-modeling technique where i will explain how important is to choose not only the right way how to model and the initial primitive but also the number of sides which you will need in the future.
Using the poly-modeling technique we will model every detail on the sword and shape it according the reference picture. After the sword would be modeled i will create two bump maps using Photoshop for the elvish text and some fragments which are present on the sword. For rendering and materials i will use our material library together with MentalRay and Photometric Lights for realistic looking result. At the end we will render Ambient & Occlusion map and do some postproduction in Photoshop. You can watch the tutorial below and if you have any questions, just write us.
- Modelling Anduril from Lord of the Rings
- Modelling using a reference
- Modeling a high-poly model
- Using poly-modeling technique
- Using editable poly to add details
- Smoothing the object using subdivision
- Materials using Arch&Design
- Lightning using MR Photometric Lights
- Rendering, Ambient & Occlusion
- Postproduction in Photoshop
- 3ds Max 2012
- Photoshop (optional)