In this tutorial I will show you how to model Obi Wan Kenobis Lightsaber from the original Star Wars trilogy using Autodesk 3ds Max. We will start by placing the reference image in to our workspace to be able to follow and accurate model the Lighsaber using poly-modelling technique. At first we will chose our starting object, a primitive and in our case a cylinder with certain edges on the side. This step is very important because the initial count of edges shouldn’t be high but just enough to cover all details present on the Lightsaber.
Starting the rough shape we will slowly add all details which we will see on the reference picture and shape from our starting cylinder a detailed Lightsaber using the basic options of editable poly. We will use the 3D-Sphere material library which you can download from the menu on the left side of 3D-Sphere and apply the materials to our model. For rendering i will use Photometric Lights and MentalRay for realistic looking result. At the end together with the final render we will render also an Ambient & Occlusion map and do some postproduction in Photoshop. You can watch the tutorial below and if you have any questions, just write us.
- Modelling Star Wars Lightsaber
- Modelling using a reference
- Modeling a high-poly model
- Using poly-modelling technique
- Using editable poly to add details
- Smoothing the object using subdivision
- Materials using Arch&Design
- Lightning using MR Photometric Lights
- Rendering, Ambient & Occlusion
- Postproduction in Photoshop
- 3ds Max 2012
- Photoshop (optional)